Thoughts, Rants, and Musings|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Tuesday, August 24th, 2004|
|Thursday, August 19th, 2004|
|Tuesday, August 17th, 2004|
|Monday, July 19th, 2004|
|A little Republican Cajoling Never Hurt Anyone!
Having said that, my parents emailed this to me:
Contemplating these illogical paradoxes can take a toll on a healthy mind. So if a friend of yours has been acting a bit dazed and confused lately, be nice: he or she may be a Republican.
It is tough to be a Republican in 2004, because somehow, you have to believe concurrently that:
1. Jesus loves you, but shares your deep hatred of homosexuals and Hillary Clinton.
2. The United States should get out of the United Nations, but our highest national priority is enforcing UN resolutions against Iraq.
3. Standing Tall for America means firing your workers and moving their jobs to India.
4. A woman cannot be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multinational corporations can make decisions affecting all humankind without regulation.
5. Being a drug addict is a moral failing and a crime, unless you're a conservative radio host. Then it's an illness and you need our prayers for your recovery.
6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops in speeches, while slashing veterans benefits and combat pay.
7. Group sex and drug use are degenerate sins, unless you someday run for governor of California as a Republican.
8. If condoms are kept out of schools, adolescents won't have sex.
9. A good way to fight terrorism is to belittle our long-time allies, but then demand their cooperation and money.
10. HMOs and insurance companies make huge profits and have the interest of the public at heart.
11. Providing health care to all Iraqis is sound policy. Providing health care to all Americans is socialism.
12. Global warming and tobacco's link to cancer are junk science, but creationism should be taught in schools.
13. It is okay that the Bush family's Carlisle Group has done millions of business with the Bin Laden family.
14. Saddam was a good guy when Reagan armed him and Rumsfeld reassured him he was our buddy, a bad guy when Bush's daddy made war on him, a good guy when Cheney did business with him in 1998, but then a bad guy again when Bush junior needed a prop for his re-election campaign as the war President.
15. A president lying about an extramarital affair is an impeachable offense. A president lying about WMD existence to enlist support for an unprovoked, undeclared war and occupation, in which thousands soldiers and civilians die, is, somehow, solid defense policy in a War against Terrorism.
16. Government should limit itself to the powers named in the Constitution, which should include banning gay marriages and censoring the Internet.
17. The public has a right to know about Hillary's cattle trades, but George Bush's Harken Oil stock trade should be sealed in his Daddy's library, and is none of our business.
18. What Bill Clinton or John Kerry did in the 1960s was of vital national interest but what Bush did in the 80's is irrelevant.
19. Trade with Cuba is wrong because the country is communist, but trade with China and Vietnam is vital to a spirit of international harmony.
20. Affirmative Action is wrong, but it is OK for your Daddy and his friends (here and in Saudi Arabia) to get you to graduate from Yale without studying much, to dodge the draft in the Texas Air National Guard, to bail out your companies (Harken Oil and the Texas Rangers), to get the Governorship of Texas and then to have the Supreme Court appoint you President of the USA.
21. You are a conservative, but it is OK to spend like there is no tomorrow and run up deficits that your grandchildren will have to pay, while at the same refunding as much tax money as possible to rich people who do not need it. Current Mood: uncomfortable
|Monday, July 5th, 2004|
|And I am awake
When I technically, shouldn't be. But, I'm taking this as a sign that my body's recovering from whatever funk it's been in. Which means I'm going to try and stay up until at least eight p.m. *eyes clock* Six more hours to go.
I think I'll lose myself in Final Fantasy.
Here's to a diurnal schedule! WOO!
|Saturday, June 19th, 2004|
|Even more Fun!
Walked down to the corner store in a pair of shorts. Since, y'know, I'm starting to feel comfortable wearing them.
Bunch of guys in a truck stopped, and hit on me. It was great. They wanted to take me to a party.
I recognized some of them from campus. They were wearing school colors to boot, so I think something was going on.
Made me feel good.
And I got Fizgig a new cat toy. It's an orange bat about mouse that he just /loves/! Watching him go nuts for it amuses me to no end!
I feel pretty. ;)
As of today, I've lost 33.2 pounds. I weigh 214.8.
I knew my size 20's were getting a little baggy. ;)
*shaking my groove thang*
|Wednesday, June 16th, 2004|
|Emails from Sensei
Professor Avdulov - my Japanese Instructor and a man whom I respect highly, sent me an email the other day.
He's currently visiting his mother and family in Moscow. He mentioned something about traveling through Asia, so I believe he stopped in Japan before Moscow, and will be returning to Japan on his return trip to Halifax. He expects to be in come the first of July. So, starting next week - I'm going to focus on reviewing Japanese, beginning with the first chapter of the intermediate level book. My kanji review will likely come with him, in our one on one sessions.
Glad he's having a good time.
|Wednesday, June 9th, 2004|
|Angry Plane Poetry
Plane Ride Haiku
People packed like sardines
Each person wants the aisle
Aisle seat is mine, bitch. Plane poem #2
Take your seat and peck and grin
Cramped spaces with little leg room
small cabins with little cool air.
We ride in mechanical birdies
just to say we took to the air.
New people with new faces,
each have their own destinations.
Everyone wants more leg room -
the aisle seat is mine, fucker. Plane poem number 3
I want sleep.
Don't fuck with my aisle seat, bitch.
(These poems brought to you by sleep deprivation and a bit of a loathing of terminal E in Toronto's International Airport.) Current Mood: optimistic
|Monday, May 31st, 2004|
I'll likely call in to check on Fizgig again on Wednesday. Because I'm a parent who worries.
I spoke with Dana today. He eventually came out from under the bed. And much in the way of hissing at Dana's cats followed. When I called? He was in his new hiding spot, on top of Dana's refrigerator. Poor baby. *sniffles* He'll be able to come back in a week though! *shuffles feet*
I miss my baby. But Dana assured me he missed his mommy. So that made feel tons better.
I have my stuff set out to work out, amongst other things.
Of course, I wake up and find that the muscles in my neck are tight to the point that moving my neck around is a little difficult. There's some tightness and discomfort. I'm continuing to stretch of course, however if this continues, I'm ..far from likely to actually work out, which ..pisses me off. As I wanted to. But I'd rather not risk injuring anything. Perhaps after some continuous stretching and getting laundry done, it may feel better. If not? Well. I'll run my neck under hot bath water.
This may, in the long run, be better for me. To go and just try and think about eating sensibly today, and perhaps during portions of my trip. And the like. After all, I can workout at the hotel in the mornings, if I really want to. I'm just, grrrrrr. Damnit. Grrr. *shakes a fist*
|Sunday, May 30th, 2004|
|My cat is so talented. /sarc
I love my Fizgig.
He did not like the car ride to Dana's. No. Not only did he turn his kitty carrier into a litterbox, he vomited as well. So then, I had to open the carrier so I could try and hold him and calm him. He turned Stephanie's Car into his litterbox. Not just once, after leaving his carrier, but twice. And then? He vomited again. All within the spanse of ten minutes
. The carrier? Let's just say ..it was so bad it didn't get cleaned. It got tossed into the dumpster.
He relaxed however, once in the front seat of the car, and in Dana's lap. He wasn't about to have anything to do with me. *facepalms* I did get to hold him and love on him alot as we introduced him to Dana's Kitties, who he'll be spending the next week with. But.. yes. It was just. ..mrrp. Dana is a wonderful person, and very much a cat person, as is her mother. And Stephanie, Rick, and Shelly are next door. So I'm sure he'll be just fine, once he decides to crawl out from under Dana's bed. He was there when I left. Heh.
I do love my Fizzer. Just hope he adjusts well. Since uh, the car ride was one to remember. O.o
Got most of my packing for A-Kon done and out of the way. Fizgig watched. I attempted to pet him afterwards, but he meowed indignantly at me and walked away. He knows what packing means. Heh. Ah well.
Still have a load of laundry to wash to be able to get everything in.
I'm supposed to go to a GarouLARP today/tomorrow, and I'd like to as I love Garou, but it all depends on what time I take a ride with Fizgig, tomorrow. I'm thinking it may be better idea to pull down the cat carrier now and put catnip in it. That way if I take a nap, it may not be much of a fight to get him in there. He -hates- car rides. So I'm hoping the catnip will make him calmer, to say the least. I'm going to worry about him all through Con.
Hopefully Dana won't mind if I um, call her and check on him during the week. *Hopeful look* I even did this with the vet. Heh.
I have the check for rent written and I'll have to take it up to the super later today as well.
I could go for a nap shortly, I suspect. Hm.
|Saturday, May 29th, 2004|
Fizgig is being extra needy in the way of the loving department. It's adorable and cute, and, and,
...I'm going to feel guilty about leaving him for a week. Hehe. Hopefully, he'll forgive me. ;)
|Friday, May 28th, 2004|
|Tuesday, May 25th, 2004|
You are a Spiritualist. Your magic flows from the
primal forces of the cosmos. You could be a
gentle Healer, a miraculous Prophet or a
spirit-summoning War-mage with the strong link
your soul provides to the realms beyond
reality. You have preternatural abilities,
intutively sensing the personality of people
you meet and discerning events yet to happen.
You enhance your aura with meditative pursuits.
You are a good judge of character but your
idealism or morality can confuse others. Which Magical Order Are You In? brought to you by Quizilla
|Monday, May 24th, 2004|
|Fizgig must have been a headbanger in a past life.
Or an enforcer of some sort.
He was not
happy with my decision to go workout today. One would have thought I left him home alone for days and days on end, or something. I return from working out (on a Canadian Holiday no less. It's bad enough everything closes on Sunday up here. Monday too? Boredom is an evil thing) and he's there. And by 'there' I mean, underfoot - demanding every spare second of my attention. So I lurve him, and he perches on the quilt chest/coffee table behind my computer chair. I turn around to lurve on him and lavish him with much in the way of affection and he headbutts my nose. Not his typical rub his face against my glasses maneuver, but he headbutted my nose. Repeatedly. It hurt. But he seemed highly amused.
Now he's simply purring and looking at me like I haven't lavished enough in the way of affection on him.
I lurve him though. He's my mini-panther, after all. All should ph34r him.
|Sunday, May 23rd, 2004|
|Saturday, May 22nd, 2004|